Sign In Create An Account

Contact: 1300 797 123

RTO 1820

How to get your contractors licence in Queensland Featured

How do I get a QBCC contractors licence?


The Queensland building and construction commission regulates who can start a contracting business in Queensland for building and construction trades. To become a trade contractor you will need to complete a BSBMSB401 Establish legal and risk management requirements of small business. Some trades like electrical and plumbing require additional training and you should check with your regulators office for these.

The Establish legal and risk management requirements of small business course can be completed online through PCD's trade contractors course and your certificate is issued straight away making it fast and easy to get your application to the QBCC. This course helps tradesman create and maintain a small business's by outlining risks."

The Small business trade contractors course that is required by the QBCC is designed to help tradesman create and maintain successful business's and focuses around risk areas of small business.The most common downfall of a sole trade or small contractor company is paperwork and knowing when to get professional help, The BSBSMB401 course is about identifying best practice around the QBCC recommendations for licensing trades.

Before you apply

See the trade contractor scopes of work to view the requirements of each licence class.

How to apply

Fill out the Trade Contractors Licence Application Form (PDF), providing:

Additional licence class application

  • you don’t have to complete another managerial course if you hold a contractor or nominee supervisor licence, and you are applying for an additional licence class
  • if you hold a site supervisor or fire occupational licence and you are applying for a trade contractor or nominee supervisor licence, you must complete the managerial course.

Re-applying for a licence

If you've previously held a licence and you want to re-apply or your licence is suspended, find out about your options - Renew, update or surrender your licence.

If your QBCC licence is cancelled and you are reapplying, you must meet the current licensing requirements. You may need to complete a new managerial course to gain your licence and we will review the content of your original course to see if it meets the current standards.

Other acceptable qualifications

You may already hold a qualification that is acceptable. Check with your nearest QBCC office about other acceptable qualifications.

What are the fees?

The fee is determined by your revenue and there are different financial categories:

  • Supervisor – financial information is not required
  • SC1 – $200,000 Declaration or Estimated Maximum Revenue declaration (Maximum Revenue up to $200,000)
  • SC2 – $600,000 Declaration or Estimated Maximum Revenue declaration (Maximum Revenue up to $600,000)
  • Category 1–7 - MFR Report

Check the current licence application fees.

How to lodge your application

Lodge your completed application form, along with all the supporting documents and correct application fee:

  • by post, to GPO Box 5099, Brisbane QLD 4001 (please don’t send in original documents, such as qualifications, unless we request them)
  • in person at your nearest QBCC Office

How long will it take to be processed?

We will take approximately 6-8 weeks to process your application. This includes checks to confirm you are a fit and proper person to hold a licence.

After you've applied

If your licence is approved, you'll receive a letter, which includes your licence number and scope of work for the licence class.


  • Can I start work before my licence is granted?

    • No. Doing building work or providing quotes or tenders before you get your licence is unlicensed contracting.
  • What if I hold a licence in another state?